Engineering professional master’s programs designed for working professionals

Gio_Rascon1.jpg

Earning a professional master’s degree in engineering from New Mexico State University online is possible in under a year, from anywhere in the world.

The College of Engineering now offers seven options for professional master’s degrees—30-hour, non-thesis degrees specifically designed to accommodate working professionals in a variety of engineering and technical fields.

Professional master’s degrees are appealing to working professionals due to their integration of advanced technical training with leadership skills.

“Our professional master’s degrees are designed to give more practical and technical skills in topic areas that employers value,” said Antonio Garcia, associate dean of academics in the College of Engineering. “These degree programs are popular due to a focus on marketable skills, and the efficiency of accomplishing the master’s degree in only 10 courses.”

Additionally, a master’s degree can substantially increase the average salary.

The new 100 percent online professional master of information technology, or M-IT, degree program graduated its first class earlier this year. The flexibility of the degree has made it possible for full-time employees and first-generation graduates like Giovanni Rascon, NMSU alumnus and network engineer at ANM, an IT consulting firm, the opportunity to earn a professional IT master’s degree.

“Being the first graduate in my family is a massive accomplishment not only for myself, but everyone who supported me throughout this journey,” Rascon said. “I work well in online settings, having this entire program online allowed me to pursue my educational goals while developing and complimenting my career.”

The M-IT program is a 30-credit hour, coursework only, professional master’s degree focused on advanced information technology development. The program is exclusively online and specially designed for working IT professionals. Year-round course offerings provide students with the flexibility to graduate quickly.

Rascon earned his degree in one year. However, even at a part-time pace, students can complete the program in less than two years.

Launched by the College of Engineering in the fall 2020 semester, the professional master’s degree is available to students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in information technology or other closely related fields. The program is also available to working IT professionals who do not have an IT undergraduate degree.

“Several of our students don’t have technical undergraduate degrees but have come to us with vast practical IT experience,” said Rolfe Sassenfeld, NMSU engineering professor and M-IT program director. “These students are able to leverage their work experience to successfully complete the M-IT program.”

For Rascon, the online professional master’s program was an opportunity to advance in his career.

“Graduating in a field that I am passionate about only helps to strengthen my desire to further my learning,” Rascon said. “Every class complements each other and fits together like a puzzle piece. The knowledge I learned from one class could be applied in others.”

Although Rascon said he is proud of his accomplishments, it was the support of his family that kept him going.

“This degree is not for me,” Rascon said. “It is for everyone who stood behind me, especially my parents and siblings.”

More about Professional Master of Engineering Degrees

NMSU’s College of Engineering new Professional Master of Engineering degree programs are offered in a variety of disciplines. There are seven options for these degrees:

Professional master’s of engineering degree programs are offered worldwide via the NMSU-Online campus. NMSU-Online provides students with an advanced learning platform at an affordable fixed cost per credit hour. NMSU-Online also provides active-duty military tuition discounts.

Applications to these programs are accepted on a year-round basis and there is still time to apply for the spring 2022 semester.