Engineering student graduates with U.S. Army commission

By Linda Fresques, 575-646-7416, lfresque@nmsu.edu

Date 06/05/2020

College of Engineering graduate Brisa Lopez is one of four New Mexico State University Army ROTC cadets who earned their degrees this spring. She joins Army ROTC cadets Dominic LaVolpa, Luis Pena and Justice Cordero in the NMSU Bataan Battalion who recently receive second lieutenant bars in a traditional commissioning ceremony where they took an oath to their country, sealing their admittance into the officer corps of the U.S. Army.

Lopez will go to Fort Gordon in Georgia for Signal Corps training. Following that, the Gilmer, Texas, native is headed to Germany.

While enlisted in the Army Reserves, she realized she wanted to go to college and become an officer. She has accomplished this by obtaining a Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology degree from the College of Engineering.

“I’m the first in my family to be in the military,” she said. “I’ve always known I wanted to be in the Army. While ROTC is a challenging commitment, it is so worth the reward of the things you learn, the values you live.”