WRITER: Charlotte Tallman
Through a rigorous nomination and selection process, the New Mexico State University Alumni Association has selected its 2015 Distinguished Alumni and James F. Cole Award for Service recipients.
For the past 57 years, the NMSU Alumni Association has presented accomplished alumni with the Distinguished Alumni award. The award carries on the tradition of excellence NMSU has upheld throughout the years, and each Distinguished Alumnus is selected based on personal accomplishment, professional achievement or charitable service.
The James F. Cole Award for Service is presented to NMSU alumni who have demonstrated outstanding university involvement and civic, humanitarian and professional service.
This year’s Distinguished Alumni include three for the College of Arts and Sciences, concentrated on fine arts and humanities, social sciences and sciences; one for each of the five other undergraduate colleges; and one for International and Border Programs; along with the James F. Cole Award for Service.
The awards will be presented during Homecoming 2015 festivities Oct. 19 to 25. This year’s Homecoming will coincide with the NMSU Aggies Are Tough Enough to Wear Pink football game on Saturday, Oct. 24.
The 2015 Distinguished Alumni are:
• Nicole Lamartine, ’97, College of Arts & Sciences, Fine Arts/Humanities
• Michael Milam, ’62, College of Arts & Sciences, Sciences
• Louis A. Vega, ’91, College of Arts & Sciences, Social Sciences
• Alfred Porter, ’78, College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
• Jerry Smith, ’77, College of Business
• Steven Allen Sanchez, ’04, College of Education
• Carlos Gutierrez, ’63, College of Engineering
• Sharon Huerta, ’95, College of Health & Social Services
• Jorge Luis Gardea-Torresday, ’86, ’88, International and Border Program (Graduate School/College of Arts & Sciences)
The 2015 James F. Cole Award for Service recipient is Morgan Nelson, a 1941 graduate of the College of Engineering.
The NMSU Alumni Association will honor each recipient during a dinner on Oct. 23. For more information, call the NMSU Alumni Association at 575-646-3616.