Writer: Kristen Sullivan
Video: Emilee Cantrell
Four New Mexico teams will be advancing to the VEX World Championships in Anaheim, CA after winning the state championship on Saturday, Feb. 15 at New Mexico State University.
The state VEX State Championship was hosted by the NMSU Engineering New Mexico Resource Network in the College of Engineering. Teams competed in two different classifications based on age groups. The VRC competition brought together middle- and high-school students for an advanced competition, while VEX IQ was designed for elementary- and middle-school students.
VRC teams advancing to the world championship were from Carlsbad High School and the ASK Academy, Rio Rancho, N.M. The CHS Cavebots from Carlsbad High School won the Design Award and the ASK Academy Androids from The ASK Academy, Rio Rancho, N.M., won the Excellence Award.
Other winners at the state competition were ASK Andriods, from the ASK Academy, who won the Tournament Champions Award, Programming Skills Winner was awarded to VEX MIX, from the School of Dreams Academy from Los Lunas, N.M, and the Robot Skills Winner went to SPX Robotix of St. Pius High School, Albuquerque, N.M. The Judges Award and the Sportsmanship went to VEX MIX and White Sands from White Sands – Las Cruces Public Schools, Las Cruces, N.M., respectively.
“The Engineering New Mexico Resource Network is proud to be a partner with VEX in bringing this new level of robotics programming to youth across the state. Robotics is a fun yet challenging way to engage our youth in STEM related activities and we are proud to be able to lead this effort on behalf of NMSU,” Patricia Sullivan, assistant dean of NMSU’s College of Engineering, said.
No previous competition was required to qualify for the state championship. The world championship will be held April 24-26, in Anaheim, Calif.
- Mountain Mahogany Community School, “Octabots” and “Syntax Errors”, Albuquerque
- Arrowhead Park Early College High School, “Arrowhead Park”, Las Cruces
- Mescalero Apache School, “MAS 02” and “MAS01”, Mescalero
- The ASK Academy, “ASK Academy Androids” and “ASK Androids”, Rio Rancho
- White Sands – Las Cruces Public Schools, “White Sands”, White Sands
- Las Cruces High School, “LCHS”, Las Cruces
- School of Dreams Academy, “Dueling Robotists” and “VEX MIX”, Los Lunas
- St. Pius High School, “SPX Robotix”, A
- Uplift Community School, “Uplift Robotics Club”, Gallup
- Onate High School, “TechnoKnights”, Las CrucesCarlsbad High School, “CHS Cavebots”, Carlsbad
VEX IQ Participants:
- Mesa Middle School, “Mesa Middle School” and “Mesa Middle School”Las Cruces
- Camino Real Middle School, “Camino” and “Camino”, Las Cruces
- Zia Middle School, “Lightning Bots” and “Zia Thunderbirds”, Las Cruces
- Vista Middle School GW2T, “Vista GW2T Team 1” and “Vista GWST Team 2”, Las Cruces
- Picacho Middle School, “Scorbotics” and “Scorbotics II”, Las Cruces