New Mexico State University Chemical and Materials Engineering Department Head David Rockstraw initiated and organized with the help of Abhaya Datye (UNM) the first Western States Chemical Engineering Department Heads meeting. The event was promoted and supported by the AICHE Fellows Council (on which Rockstraw serves). Ten department heads representing Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Wyoming descended on the Santa Fe Plaza on the second weekend in June and had productive discussions about managing their respective programs. All attendees considered the time well spent and plan to attend the second event in 2019 in Tempe, AZ.
- “This was my most productive and enjoyable meeting of the year.” – Dr. Robert Whitely (Oklahoma State University)
- “I learned a great deal, and am already having my assistant work on the yearbook suggestion that was brought out at the meeting!” – Dr. Brian Grady (Oklahoma University)
- “I will tell my colleagues out here in the West how useful this is.” – Dr. Roland Faller (California Davis)
- “It was an excellent opportunity to exchange ideas. Now I know that no manual for chairs exists. More seriously, I commend everyone for supporting this format the was so enriching and useful.” – Dr. Vladimir Alvarado (Wyoming)
- “It was a great meeting and I came away with a lot of good ideas.” Sindee Simon (Texas Tech)