Applications will open by November 1, 2019, for Spring 2020.
The NMSU College of Engineering Ambassador program provides undergraduate students with opportunities to gain leadership skills, deepen their knowledge and understanding of local, state, national, and global challenges, and expand personal and professional growth. Participating undergraduate students are selected based on an expressed interest in serving and representing the NMSU College of Engineering, a desire to broaden their leadership skills, and a commitment to ethical values.
Engineering Ambassadors provide support for activities related to recruiting, retention, outreach, and most importantly, student success. Ambassadors provide campus tours to prospective students and the broader NMSU community, serve as representatives of the NMSU College of Engineering, engage in leadership discussions and relevant tours for and with industry and government agencies, and perform duties at various campus and community events.
The mission of the NMSU College of Engineering Ambassador program is to cultivate student leaders who will embrace and champion the underlying service mission of the College of Engineering and NMSU as a Land Grant Institution.
- Leadership development opportunities
- Opportunities to engage with industry partners
- Travel to the NM Legislature and/or meetings with industry representatives across the state (anticipated one out-of-town trip per semester)
- Enhance communication and presentation skills
- Participate in Outreach and Recruiting service to the College
- Serve as a mentor to New Mexico high school students participating in various outreach programs
- Letters of recommendations may be made available to Engineering Ambassadors
- Engineering Ambassadors are provided a Leadership Scholarship award each semester
- Engineering Ambassadors are provided with NMSU College of Engineering insignia uniforms to be worn during official business
- Must be a full-time undergraduate engineering student enrolled in a degree-seeking program
- Must have completed a minimum of two semesters at NMSU
- Must be in good standing academically and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
- Must have and maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA each term
- Must be enrolled in 1 credit hour Ambassador Class (ENG 398) each semester
- Complete a minimum of 20 service hours per semester in support of the College Ambassador program
- Comply with Ambassador Leadership Academy dress code where applicable
- Welcome new and prospective students to the NMSU College of Engineering
- Answer general questions about NMSU College of Engineering to the NMSU and external communities
- Represent NMSU College of Engineering at local area schools
- Conduct campus tours for visiting students
- Develop relationships within the community that encourage students to attend NMSU College of Engineering
- Establish a leadership role and presence within the NMSU College of Engineering
- Create a positive student-centric atmosphere across the College of Engineering
- Serve as student Ambassador for your respective engineering department
- Create and develop innovative ideas that support College-wide recruitment and outreach efforts
- Serve a near-peer mentor for various outreach programs
- Maintain professional discretion with regard to sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrate professional, courteous and ethical behavior at all times as a representative of the NMSU College of Engineering
STEM Program Manager